Thursday, April 15, 2010

Why Aren't There More Women Playing Guitar in Bands?


Image : http://www.flickr.com


There are women who do, before anyone points out any well known names, such as Chrissie Hynde (favourite guitar, the fender Telecaster), Joan Jett (armed with Gibson Les Paul), Nancy Wilson or Jennifer Batten (Michael Jackson's guitarist, no less).

It's just that there aren't that many. It may be that it's seen as a mans role, or due to the weight of a guitar, or even that you have to cut the nails on your guitar hand short!! But whatever the reason, I think that it's nonsense that this is the case. In fact, I am living proof that a woman can successfully play guitar in a band, and I've only been playing for a year!

My singing career has lasted my whole adult life, but until now I've left it up to my husband, Bill to play guitar in our band, while I sing and the rest of the band play their parts in equal measure.

It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg either, past the initial outlay. I've managed to borrow a guitar from Bill, but with only a couple of hundred pounds you can pick something respectable up. Less if you're truly on a budget. eBay, car boot sales and pawnbrokers are good places to look.

The lessons themselves are much cheaper if you book them as a group. Group lessons are inordinately less expensive than individual lessons, and your local college may well have a course, so get on down there!!

The oldest member of my group at college is 70 - and they're as good as any, so if you're thinking of learning an instrument, don't delay, book your lessons today!

No comments:

Post a Comment